Other Things To Do

It's the 21st Century apparently, so why not come join the Facebook group of the blog of the music. It's what people from the future do.
"Because Midway Still Aren't Coming Back" on Facebook.
 
If you'd like to contact me, the best way is probably to email:
5318008 at gmail.com

Monday 26 March 2007

Bob

It's indie-gig-reminiscence time I'm afraid. Back in the mists of time me and my mate Gareth saw Bob supporting Carter USM at the "Black Hole" - the affectionate name for the Huddersfield Poly bar/small gig venue/disco - in what I presume was 1990 or 1991. Bob were supporting Carter just after the release of Anytime Anyplace Anwhere (I bought a T-shirt from each band which were favourites for many years).

As I recall we left our friends, who didn't want to come, in the Zetland and went across the road. We stayed almost to the end, then had to leave as we were only young and had to make the last bus home. I never said it was a good story.

According to the INTERNET they were "formed in North London in 1986 [and released] their debut EP What A Perfomance in 1989. The follow up Kirsty was released the following year. The band at this time were being play listed by John Peel which saw them record two Peel Sessions in 1989. With their profile growing the band released three singles in 1989 being the 7" flexi Prune Your Love as well as two singles Convenience and Esmeralda Brooklyn. 1990 saw the band release the Stride Up EP and this was followed by the bands proper first album Leave The Straight Life Behind. Sadly for the band the distribution arm of Rough Trade financially collapsed and the band dissolved at the back end of 1991."

What the records on the internet haven't heard of by the looks of things is the band's penultimate EP; so to celebrate me finding it in the cupboard, here is the vinyl-to-mp3 conversion of the title track from the Tired EP.

As an aside, Stride Up features a fantastic cover of the Beatles song "Rain", but for me it's Tired that brings back the memories.

Again, download is righty-clicky. And again, yes, I know it's copyrighted material but as none of this stuff is available on one of those new-fangled CDs, it's the only way to remember them.

Bob - Tired

5 comments:

  1. ooooh it's all going on round here ain't it.
    there's much more BOB on my lovely old sombrero records myspace thing

    www.myspace.com/sombrerorecordings

    along with links to what they're up to now.
    happy days.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw bob at the wheatsheaf in stoke anout 1991. They headlined and played with sugarblast, the money gods and bottom of the bill first ones on stage... Radiohead

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw bob at the wheatsheaf in stoke anout 1991. They headlined and played with sugarblast, the money gods and bottom of the bill first ones on stage... Radiohead

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw bob at the wheatsheaf in stoke anout 1991. They headlined and played with sugarblast, the money gods and bottom of the bill first ones on stage... Radiohead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nostalgic do I feel now??? I saw Bob in the Duchess of York in Leeds a couple of times - will have been around 1989/1990 as I remember being worried I wouldnt get in as was only 15/16!! A couple of pints of cider later and I couldnt have cared less!!! Happy days!!

    ReplyDelete